Rightmire Family Web Site
XI. John R. Rightmire
Section 1. John R. Rightmire and Hannah Critchfield
(2) John R. Rightmire was born in Ohio about 1811. He married Hannah Critchfield on July 25, 1834 in Knox County Ohio. (James, Jr., John, and Harrison Rightmire all married Critchfield daughters.) Hannah was born in about 1813 in Ohio. Based on census and land records in Illinois, it appears that John and his family moved to Illinois sometime after 1850.
The 1850 Ohio census, Knox Co., Harrison Twp, enumerated on the 26th day of September gave the following information about John and Hannah Rightmire.
John Rightmire: Age 39, Male, Farmer, Value Real Estate
$1800, Born in Ohio
John died on April 16, 1890 in Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri. He was buried in Forest Hill Cemetery, Kansas City, Missouri. Below is a picture of his head stone from that cemetery. James E. Rightmire provided the picture along with the following note: "The Head Stone, 'Rightmire' , is for John Rightmire, Sarah Rightmire (daughter), & Carl Rightmire (son). (John is father of Sarah and Carl). It is in Forest Hill Cemetery, Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri."
John and Hannah had twelve children:
(3) Daugherty Rightmire, born in Knox County, Ohio on April 17, 1841. Section 2 covers the Daugherty Rightmire and Margaret Ann Ballard story.
(3) Mary Rightmire, born in Knox County, Ohio in about 1844.
(3) Sarah Rightmire, born in Ohio in 1844. Sarah died of a heart attack on April 15, 1909 in Kansas City, Wyandotte County, Kansas. She is buried near her father in Forest Hill Cemetery, Kansas City, Missouri. The following funeral notice was published in the Kansas City Times, Friday, April 16, 1909:
"RIGHTMIRE - Miss Sarah, 64 years old, died at 9:15 pm last night at her residence, 1210 Holmes Street. Funeral arrangements later."
(3) Alornina Rightmire, born in Knox County, Ohio in 1846. Illinois marriage records show that Alornina married Perry Bascom on October 10, 1877 in Fayette, Illinois.
(3) Elizabeth Rightmire, born in Knox, County, Ohio in 1848. Illinois marriage records also show that Elizabeth married John P. Smith April 14, 1872 in Fayette, Illinois.
(3) Syzia Rightmire, born in Ohio in about 1849.
(3) Eleanor Rightmire, born in Ohio in about 1852. Eleanor married Joseph C. Hutchinson in about 1895. Section 3 covers the Eleanor Rightmire - Joseph C. Hutchinson story.
(3) Carl H. Rightmire was born on January 6, 1857 in Illinois. He died of arteriole sclerosis on October 23, 1922 in Kansas City, Missouri. He is buried in Forest Hill Cemetery in Kansas City, Missouri. He was 64 years, 9 months and 17 days old when he died. Carl apparently lived with his sister, Eleanor, and bother-in-law at the time of Eleanor's death, as noted in her funeral notice above.