Section 3. Samuel Rightmire and Harriet Nixon
A Washington County publication for Newport Township states:
"Among those living in the township at an early day was Samuel Rightmire, who married Harriet
daughter of William Nixon whose settlement has been noticed. Mr. Rightmire was born in 1810 and died in 1868. His wife was
born in 1817. They have six children born to them all of whom survive: Susan E. Miller, Lucy A. Davis, Sarah R. Lackey, Mary
H. Dye, Martha H. Doan, and Eliza J. Lucas. Mrs. Rightmire has a farm of one hundred and four acres well improved land."
The 1840 Ohio Census Index gives the following:
Rightmire, Samuel, Washington County, Newport Twp.
1 white males of 20 and under 30 [Samuel, age 29 or 30]
white females under 5 [Susan, Lucy, Sarah]
1 white females of 20 and under 30 [his wife, Harriet, age 21 or22]
The 1860 Ohio Census, Washington Co., Newport Twp gives further information:
Samuel Rightmire, 50, Male, [No occupation given], Born in Ohio
Harriet Rightmire, 42, Female, House keeper,
Born in Ohio
Lucy Rightmire, 22, Female, School Teacher, Born in Ohio
Martha Rightmire, 16, Female, House keeper, Born
in Ohio, (attended school)
Eliza Rightmire, 11, Female, Born in Ohio, (attended school)
Theodore Rightmire, 5, Male,
Born in Ohio, (attended school within the year)
Based on the above information, the following are the children of Samuel and Harriett Rightmire:
(3) Mary H. Rightmire was born between 1835 - 1840. She married a man whose last name was Dye.
(3) Susan E. Rightmire was born between 1835 - 1840. She married a man whose last name was Miller.
(3) Sarah R. Rightmire was born between 1835 - 1840. She married a man whose last name was Lackey.
(3) Lucy A. Rightmire was born in either 1837 or 1838. She was a school teacher in 1860 in Washington
County, Ohio, at age 22. She married a man whose last name was Davis.
(3) Martha H. Rightmire was born in either 1843 or 1844. She married a man whose last name was
(3) Eliza J. Rightmire was born in either 1848 or 1849. She married a man named Lucas.
(3) Theodore Rightmire was born in either 1854 or 1855. He died in Summit County, Ohio on March
4, 1934. It is interesting to note that in the 1910 census, a John Rightmire lived in Akron, Summit County, Ohio. He was 35
at the time, hence probably born in 1875. He may well have been Theodore Rightmire's son, but I have no records to confirm